Saturday, February 20, 2010

My vegan lifestyle has begun


What do you do to prepare for this big change. Let me tell you.
Step 1: The week before you begin be sure to binge on all your favorite non-vegan foods. For me that meant I ate chocolate, cheese and last night I had some frozen yougurt. Saying goodbye to dairy is BIG DEAL for me. But I am so excited to give this vegan thing a try.
Step 2: Make a list of some vegan foods/meals that you want to make or buy. I went to the superstition market--which has the cheapest produce around and I am so in L-O-V-E with that place--and stocked up on some of my favorite veggies. I plan on making some butternut squash bisque tomorrow and eating lots of salad and beans.
Step 3: Get started. Today I woke up and had a half serving of plain oatmeal with some strawberries and almond milk, followed by a cup of fresh squeezed orange juice. It was a great start to day 1 of being vegan.
Step 4: Read a book to keep you motivated. I read the Skinny Bitch diet and loved it! It was really funny and quite a kick in the pants if I may say so.
Well my life as a vegan ( or rather month) has been great so far--granted it is only been about 12 hours but who's counting. the good news is I am one day closer to being healthy, the bad news is I keep feeling hungry. Filling up on fruits and veggies does not last as long as a hamburger in the stomache, but I think I will get used to it. Stay tuned for updates on our little vegan adventure. And thanks Oprah for the inspiration.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gil, I woke up this morning and am feeling good! It is time for me to weigh in so I can start keeping track. The problem is my weight is just too personal even for myself. Oh well. -Girl

vegan minus the flannel said...

ok so I tried the soy milk today with the Puffins. You were right. I think almond milk might taste a bit better. -girl

Josh and Elisha said...

Girl- anything is better than the plain soymilk. I haven't tried the vanilla soymilk that might be ok. But don't trust lady's opinion because she is the one that told me soymilk tasted yummy. False. -gilly

ames said...

girl and gilly- i haven't tried almond milk but all this talk has me totally intrigued. this blog is better than New Moon's exploitation of taylor lautner's abs.